Thursday, November 19, 2015



Part Three of Four Interviews

Welcome to part three of our four interviews. This week Robin interviews Lucy.
Take a look at the first here and second interviews here.

What made you decide to write a novel?
Is being crazy an answer? Probably not…Sigh. Writing a novel is hard work and time-consuming. But I find it challenging, terrific fun and satisfying. The sense of achievement when you type those two little words “THE END” is hard to beat.

How has God been faithful to keep you on that path over the years?
He gave me the most supportive husband on the face of the earth! There had been too many times that I’ve been on the brink of shoving this dream to the deepest, darkest pit in my heart, but he wouldn’t allow me to. I’m tremendously grateful for the man that he is.

What came to you first? Character, setting, or plot? How did the rest of the novel form around that seedling idea?
Definitely character. Basically, characters always seem to come to me first. I always tend to wonder why characters are where they are. Did what they did, and how will they fix it or live with it. I’m probably more of a character driven writer than plot driven.

What have you done since you started writing to hone your skills and get better at your craft?
I spent most of my early writing life as a “closet writer”. I told a selected few family members and friends that I dreamed of being an author… That was it. I wrote away in secrecy. Early on in our marriage my husband told me it was time to get serious about my writing. I don’t know if he was impressed by what he read or simply got tired of me whining about “dreaming of being an author”. I took his advice. I enrolled for some writing courses, attended writing classes and purchased a dozen books about the craft of writing.
Two years ago I gathered enough guts to become a member of ACFW’s and am still learning more and more about the craft.

You work full-time, care for your darling baby boy, and write historical fiction. How do you find balance in all these consuming tasks? Can you offer any words of encouragement to aspiring writers who are also employed at other jobs?
Yes ma’am, I work full-time as a bookkeeper. Numbers and words kind of the same thing – right? Hehehe. Just kidding.
I try to put my family first. Sometimes I fail, other times I succeed. I think it all comes down to prioritizing. Since writing is also important to me, I occasionally find myself writing late at night – when the rest of the house is asleep and I’m not too tired.  
I’m not going to lie and say it’s been easy, because it’s not. Weeks go by without me putting down one word, and it makes me feel anxious. But a quote I read some time ago really sums it all up. I want to share it with any other aspiring writer that finds balancing working full-time, family time and writing daunting. 
“If it’s important to you, you’ll find a way. If not, you’ll find an excuse.” (The author was unknown.)

What do you hope to achieve personally and professionally with regards to your writing?
I’d love to put a smile on someone’s face. God blessed me with a gift to make people laugh, if I can accomplish that with my writing, I’d be happy. I’d like to hope I was called to write to make my readers smile, perhaps even laugh.

Is there a work of fiction that has stuck with you over time? Why?

Hands down, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. 
I read that book the first time about ten years ago. And I've reread it numerous times since. 
The message that God’s grace and forgiveness is enough, remained with me all this time.


~Lucy

Hope you all join us next week when I interview Deanna.

2 comments:

  1. Your writing has already put a smile on my face many times, Lucy! :) I've really been enjoying your blog ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments. We love to interact!